1. All in or All Out: "I'll start when my husband starts", "I'll start when I get back from vacation", "I have a birthday coming up, I'll start after then". The reality is, its always a good time to procrastinate.
2. Overgeneralization: I've tried everything and nothing works. Folks, I hate to break hearts here, but the combination of good diet and exercise works every single time.
3. Mental Block: Looking only at negative things and not at the positives. "I exercise and gain weight". This may be true, because muscle weighs more than fat, but let me ask you this: How do you feel? Do you have more confidence? Do you feel good about yourself that you are doing something? Focus on that.
4. Fortune Telling: Predicting that things will not workout when there is no evidence to suggest it won't. As my good friend Val says, "Trust the Process".
5. Emotional Reasoning: I don't feel like exercising. Folks, most people don't for the first 10 minutes of any given exercise. Here's the deal you need to make for yourself. If it is on your schedule, but you don't feel like going, at least get dress and drive down to the gym. 9 out of 10 times, your going to get there and still workout. Same goes for eating chicken, just take the first few bites. 9 out of 10, you'll finish the piece and know to use a different spice next time.
6. Labeling: Or what I call name calling. People talk negatively about themselves. I'm always going to be the fat guy. You gotta stop this. Believe me, there are plenty of people around that are happy to put you down, you do not need to be one of them. Believe in yourself. Good things will come.
7. Regret statements: "Should" "Ought to" "Must". Get this stuff out of your vocab, its just judging yourself and you don't deserve to do that to yourself. I carry around $5 bills and if my wife hears me saying stuff like that, she gets $5. Believe me, lose the first $40 bucks and you stop saying it.
Folks, weight loss is a tough journey. But it won't happen unless you believe it will. And no one else can do that for you. You gotta believe it.